Re: [RFC next v1 2/5] gpio: of: parse stmmac PHY reset line specific active-low property

From: Andrew Lunn
Date: Sun Jun 09 2019 - 16:42:58 EST

On Sun, Jun 09, 2019 at 08:06:18PM +0200, Martin Blumenstingl wrote:
> The stmmac driver currently ignores the GPIO flags which are passed via
> devicetree because it operates with legacy GPIO numbers instead of GPIO
> descriptors.

Hi Martin

I don't think this is the reason. I think historically stmmac messed
up and ignored the flags. There are a number of device tree blobs
which have the incorrect flag value, but since it was always ignored,
it did not matter. Then came along a board which really did need the
flag, but it was too late, it could not be enabled because too many
boards would break. So the hack was made, and snps,reset-active-low
was added.

Since snps,reset-active-low is a hack, it should not be in the
core. Please don't add it to gpiolib-of.c, keep it within stmmac
driver.

Andrew