Re: [RFC 0/2] Add workaround for core wake-up on IPI for i.MX8MQ

From: Marc Zyngier
Date: Mon Jun 10 2019 - 10:12:20 EST

On 10/06/2019 14:55, Abel Vesa wrote:
> On 19-06-10 14:39:02, Marc Zyngier wrote:

>>> Wrong, this erratum does not affect any other type of interrupts, other
>>> than IPIs. That is because all the other interrupts go through GPC,
>>> which means the cores will wake up on any other type (again, other than IPI).
>>
>> Huh... Are you saying that LPIs and PPIs are going through the GPC, and
>> will trigger the wake-up of the core? That's not the conclusion we
>> reached last time.
>>

> Hmm, I don't think that was the conclusion. Yes, Lucas was saying (IIRC)
> that if you terminate the IRQs at GIC then all the other interrupts will be
> in the same situation. But the performance improvement given by terminating
> them at GIC might not be worth it when compared to the cpuidle support.

https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/3/27/1124 clearly says that PPIs are broken,
relying on some other terrible hack for the timer (and only the timer,
leaving other PPIs dead as a nail). It also implies that LPIs have never
been looked into, and given that they aren't routed through the GPC, the
conclusion is pretty easy to draw.

Nobody is talking about performance here. It is strictly about
correctness, and what I read about this system is that it cannot
reliably use cpuidle.

Thanks,

M.