Re: [RFC 0/2] Add workaround for core wake-up on IPI for i.MX8MQ

From: Marc Zyngier
Date: Mon Jun 10 2019 - 10:56:41 EST

On 10/06/2019 15:32, Leonard Crestez wrote:
> On 6/10/2019 5:08 PM, Marc Zyngier wrote:

>>> Hmm, I don't think that was the conclusion. Yes, Lucas was saying (IIRC)
>>> that if you terminate the IRQs at GIC then all the other interrupts will be
>>> in the same situation. But the performance improvement given by terminating
>>> them at GIC might not be worth it when compared to the cpuidle support.
>>
>> PPIs are broken,
>> relying on some other terrible hack for the timer (and only the timer,
>> leaving other PPIs dead as a nail). It also implies that LPIs have never
>> been looked into, and given that they aren't routed through the GPC, the
>> conclusion is pretty easy to draw.
>>
>> Nobody is talking about performance here. It is strictly about
>> correctness, and what I read about this system is that it cannot
>> reliably use cpuidle.
> My argument was that it's fine if PPIs and LPIs are broken as long as
> they're not used:
>
> * PPIs are only used for local timer which is not used for wakeup.

How about the PMU and GIC maintenance interrupts? Any interrupt should
get you out of idle.

> * LPIs on imx are not currently implemented.

Define "implemented". You don't have an ITS at all? Or is it that you
currently don't expose the ITS in your firmware?

> This workaround is only targeted at a very specific SOC with specific
> usecases and in that context it behaves correctly, as far as I can tell.

And I still maintain that such specific use cases should be kept
specific, and that the mainline kernel should be reliable in all
circumstances.

> As mentioned in another thread the HW issue was already solved in newer
> chips of the same family (like imx8mm). If there is a need for PPIs and
> LPIs on imx8mq in the future then maybe we can detect that scenario and
> disable cpuidle?

I'd suggest it the other way around. No cpuidle unless you absolutely
force it, tainting the kernel in the process.

M.