Re: Pointers on using the extcon-adc-jack driver

From: Chanwoo Choi
Date: Fri Jun 21 2019 - 03:09:28 EST

Hi George,

On 19. 6. 13. ìì 2:59, George Hilliard wrote:
> I have question about using the extcon-adc-jack code, which uses an
> ADC to provide an extcon device. This is exactly what I need for my
> hardware.
>
> Currently it seems like it's set up to only be called from other C
> "platform" code, although I can't find any examples of such code on
> the internet at all, never mind in the kernel tree. I am interested
> in putting this driver in the device tree for my board. Would you be
> amenable to patches adding device tree support for this driver (and
> maybe other related extcon drivers)? Or have I overlooked the
> "correct" way to use this module?

Until now, extcon-adc-jack driver has not yet supported the dt-binding
on the latest mainline kernel. Actually, extcon-adc-jack has the similar
issue with extcon-gpio about dt-binding.

When I tried to do it[1] for extcon-gpio dt bidnings and someone
tried it[2] again, but, it was not finished. You can check the threads[1][2].

[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/10/21/8
[2] https://lore.kernel.org/patchwork/patch/681550/

In order to support the dt-binding for extcon-adc-jack,
have to find the proper compatible name indicating the device connector
and defines the properties to get the ADC value from devicetree.

--
Best Regards,
Chanwoo Choi