Re: [Intel-wired-lan] Opportunistic S0ix blocked by e1000e when ethernet is in use

From: Neftin, Sasha
Date: Tue Jun 25 2019 - 06:25:10 EST

On 6/24/2019 18:06, Kai-Heng Feng wrote:
at 19:56, Neftin, Sasha <sasha.neftin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 6/24/2019 10:03, Kai-Heng Feng wrote:
Hi Jeffrey,
at 19:08, Kai-Heng Feng <kai.heng.feng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Jeffrey,

There are several platforms that uses e1000e canât enter Opportunistic S0ix (PC10) when the ethernet has a link partner.

This behavior also exits in out-of-tree e1000e driver 3.4.2.1, but seems like 3.4.2.3 fixes the issue.

A quick diff between the two versions shows that this code section may be our solution:

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ /* Read from EXTCNF_CTRL in e1000_acquire_swflag_ich8lan function
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ * may occur during global reset and cause system hang.
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ * Configuration space access creates the needed delay.
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ * Write to E1000_STRAP RO register E1000_PCI_VENDOR_ID_REGISTER value
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ * insures configuration space read is done before global reset.
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ */
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ pci_read_config_word(hw->adapter->pdev, E1000_PCI_VENDOR_ID_REGISTER,
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ &pci_cfg);
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ew32(STRAP, pci_cfg);
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ e_dbg("Issuing a global reset to ich8lan\n");
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ew32(CTRL, (ctrl | E1000_CTRL_RST));
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ /* cannot issue a flush here because it hangs the hardware */
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ msleep(20);

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ /* Configuration space access improve HW level time sync mechanism.
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ * Write to E1000_STRAP RO register E1000_PCI_VENDOR_ID_REGISTER
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ * value to insure configuration space read is done
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ * before any access to mac register.
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ */
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ pci_read_config_word(hw->adapter->pdev, E1000_PCI_VENDOR_ID_REGISTER,
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ &pci_cfg);
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ew32(STRAP, pci_cfg);
Turns out the "extra sauceâ is not this part, itâs called âDynamic LTR supportâ.

Is there any plan to support this in the upstream kernel?
Is there any plan to support Dynamic LTR in upstream e1000e?
Dynamic LTR is not stable solution. So, we can not put this solution to upstream. I hope we will be able to fix this in HW for a future projects.

Does this mean current generation hardware wonât get the fix?
Current HW have a limitation. Please, try follow workaround on your platform: echo 3 > /sys/kernel/debug/pmc_core/ltr_ignore
>> S0ix support is under discussion with our architecture. We will try
enable S0ix in our e1000e OOT driver as first step.

Is it possible to add Dynamic LTR as an option so users and downstream distros can still benefit from it?
As I said before, this is not a stable solution. No guarantee that HW will work as properly.

Kai-Heng

Kai-Heng
Kai-Heng