Re: [RFC] deadlock with flush_work() in UAS

From: Alan Stern
Date: Mon Jul 01 2019 - 10:20:39 EST

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, den 26.06.2019, 10:38 -0400 schrieb Alan Stern:

> > > Correct. But UAS and storage themselves still need to use
> > > WQ_MEM_RECLAIM for their workqueues, don't they?
> >
> > Perhaps so for uas. usb-storage uses a work queue only for scanning
> > targets, which doesn't interfere with the block I/O pathway.
>
> Are you sure? What about hub_tt_work?

Technically speaking, hub_tt_work is used by the hub driver, not by
usb-storage. :-)

> As far as I can tell, hub_quiesce
> will flush it, hence it is used in error handling.

Yes, it needs to use a work queue with WQ_MEM_RECLAIM set.
Unfortunately, I don't think we can use hub_wq for this purpose (we
could end up with a work item waiting for another work item later on in
the same queue, not good).

Alan Stern