Re: [Patch 1/1] Input: edt-ft5x06 - disable irq handling during suspend

From: Benoit Parrot
Date: Mon Jul 01 2019 - 16:07:31 EST

Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote on Mon [2019-Jul-01 00:32:33 -0700]:
> On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 07:24:57AM -0500, Benoit Parrot wrote:
> > Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote on Sat [2019-Jun-22 22:59:40 -0700]:

> > > If we are using level interrupts then it will work OK, however it is
> > > really easy to lose edge here, as replaying disabled edge triggered
> > > interrupts is not really reliable.
> > >
> > > Benoit, what kind of interrupt do you use in your system?
> >
> > Dmitry,
> >
> > On our systems we currently used edge trigger. One example is available in
> > mainline: arch/arm/boot/dts/am437x-sk-evm.dts
> > 632: interrupts = <31 IRQ_TYPE_EDGE_FALLING>;
>
> Does your device still work if you switch to level-triggered interrupt?

That would depend on the device. But for instance on am437x, in order for
GPIO IRQ to be detected as a wake up event they need to be edge triggered.

> Regarding your patch I am uncomfortable with disabling interrupts if
> interrupt is edge-triggered, as replaying edge interrupts after enabling
> is not very reliable. So we should either only disable interrupt if it
> is level-triggered, or make sure we read and process data from the
> device after re-enabling interrupt to rearm it. We'll need to make sure
> suspend does not race with interrupt handler than and also make sure we
> handle case when device does not actually has data to report.

I am still not sure who would consume these events. Upon waking up from
suspend it would take a while for user-space to be ready to consume these
events, and by that time there may have been quite a few of them.

We are currently missing those events anyways, no?
I mean the i2c read operation during suspend is failing anyways, which
means that particular event is already missed.

Regards,
Benoit