Re: RX CRC errors on I219-V (6) 8086:15be

From: Bjorn Helgaas
Date: Tue Jul 02 2019 - 14:01:19 EST

On Tue, Jul 02, 2019 at 04:25:59PM +0800, Kai Heng Feng wrote:
> +linux-pci
>
> Hi Sasha,
>
> at 6:49 PM, Kai-Heng Feng <kai.heng.feng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > at 14:26, Neftin, Sasha <sasha.neftin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > CRC errors not related to the LTR. Please, try to disable the ME on
> > > your platform. Hope you have this option in BIOS. Another way is to
> > > contact your PC vendor and ask to provide NVM without ME. Let's
> > > start debugging with these steps.
> >
> > According to ODM, the ME can be physically disabled by a jumper.
> > But after disabling the ME the same issue can still be observed.
>
> Weâve found that this issue doesnât happen to SATA SSD, it only happens when
> NVMe SSD is in use.
>
> Here are the steps:
> - Disable NVMe ASPM, issue persists
> - modprobe -r e1000e && modprobe e1000e, issue doesnât happen
> - Enabling NVMe ASPM, issue doesnât happen
>
> As long as NVMe ASPM gets enabled after e1000e gets loaded, the issue
> doesnât happen.

IIUC the problem happens with the mainline and dev-queue e1000e
driver, but not with the out-of-tree Intel driver. Since there is a
working driver and there's the potential (at least in principle) for
unifying them or bisecting between them, I have limited interest in
debugging it from scratch.

If it turns out to be a PCI core problem, I would want to know: What's
the PCI topology? "lspci -vv" output for the system? Does it make a
difference if you boot with "pcie_aspm=off"? Collect complete dmesg,
maybe attach it to a kernel.org bugzilla?