Re: [patch 16/18] x86/apic: Convert 32bit to IPI shorthand static key

From: Nadav Amit
Date: Wed Jul 03 2019 - 17:14:55 EST

> On Jul 3, 2019, at 1:34 PM, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Nadav,
>
> On Wed, 3 Jul 2019, Nadav Amit wrote:
>>> On Jul 3, 2019, at 3:54 AM, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> void default_send_IPI_all(int vector)
>>> {
>>> - if (apic_ipi_shorthand_off || vector == NMI_VECTOR) {
>>> + if (static_branch_likely(&apic_use_ipi_shorthand)) {
>>> apic->send_IPI_mask(cpu_online_mask, vector);
>>> } else {
>>> __default_send_IPI_shortcut(APIC_DEST_ALLINC, vector);
>>
>> It may be better to check the static-key in native_send_call_func_ipi() (and
>> other callers if there are any), and remove all the other checks in
>> default_send_IPI_all(), x2apic_send_IPI_mask_allbutself(), etc.
>
> That makes sense. Should have thought about that myself, but hunting that
> APIC emulation issue was affecting my brain obviously :)

Well, if you used VMware and not KVM... ;-)

(allow me to reemphasize that I am joking and save myself from spam)

>> void native_send_call_func_ipi(const struct cpumask *mask)
>> {
>> - cpumask_var_t allbutself;
>> -
>> - if (!alloc_cpumask_var(&allbutself, GFP_ATOMIC)) {
>> - apic->send_IPI_mask(mask, CALL_FUNCTION_VECTOR);
>> - return;
>> + int cpu, this_cpu = smp_processor_id();
>> + bool allbutself = true;
>> + bool self = false;
>> +
>> + for_each_cpu_and_not(cpu, cpu_online_mask, mask) {
>> +
>> + if (cpu != this_cpu) {
>> + allbutself = false;
>> + break;
>> + }
>> + self = true;
>
> That accumulates to a large iteration in the worst case.

I donât understand why. There should be at most two iterations - one for
self and one for another core. So _find_next_bit() will be called at most
twice. _find_next_bit() has its own loop, but I donât think overall it is as
bad as calling alloc_cpumask_var(), cpumask_copy() and cpumask_equal(),
which also have loops.

I donât have numbers (and I doubt they are very significant), but the cpumask
allocation showed when I was profiling my microbenchmark.