RE: linux-next: build failure after merge of the usb and usb-gadget trees

From: Pawel Laszczak
Date: Thu Jul 04 2019 - 05:25:36 EST

>>Hi,

>>> Problem is in my Patch. I reproduced it, but I don't understand why compiler
>>> complains about usb_decode_ctrl. It's compiled into libcomposite.ko and
>>> declaration is in drivers/usb/gadget.h.
>>
>>That's because in multi_v7_defconfig dwc3 is built-in while libcomposite
>>is a module:
>>
>>CONFIG_USB_DWC3=y
>>CONFIG_USB_LIBCOMPOSITE=m
>>

>>I remember that when you were doing this work, I asked you to move
>>functions to usb/common. Why did you deviate from that suggestion? It's
>>clear that decoding a ctrl request can be used by peripheral and host
>>and we wouldn't have to deal with this problem if you had just followed
>>the suggestion.
>
>Some time ago Greg wrote:
>" It's nice to have these in a common place, but you just bloated all of
>the USB-enabled systems in the world for the use of 2 odd-ball system
>controllers that almost no one has :) "
>
>So I moved these functions to gadget directory.
>
>It was mistake that I added debug.c file to libcomposite.ko.

I think that the best choice is leaving debug.c file
In drivers/usb/gadget/ directory.

But to do this I must to add this file to drivers/usb/dwc3/Makefile file and
drivers/usb/cdns3/Makefile. The code will be compiled into both drivers,
It will increase the size of kernel only when these driver will be enabled.

What do you think about such solution ?