Re: [RFC v2 00/27] Kernel Address Space Isolation

From: Mike Rapoport
Date: Sun Jul 14 2019 - 13:12:02 EST

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 10:45:06AM -0600, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

> >> Right. If we decide to expose more parts of the kernel mappings then that's
> >> just adding more stuff to the existing user (PTI) map mechanics.
> >
> > If we expose more parts of the kernel mapping by adding them to the existing
> > user (PTI) map, then we only control the mapping of kernel sensitive data but
> > we don't control user mapping (with ASI, we exclude all user mappings).
> >
> > How would you control the mapping of userland sensitive data and exclude them
> > from the user map?
>
> As I see it, if we think part of the kernel is okay to leak to VM guests,
> then it should think itâs okay to leak to userspace and versa. At the end
> of the day, this may just have to come down to an administratorâs choice
> of how careful the mitigations need to be.
>
> > Would you have the application explicitly identify sensitive
> > data (like Andy suggested with a /dev/xpfo device)?
>
> Thatâs not really the intent of my suggestion. I was suggesting that
> maybe we donât need ASI at all if we allow VMs to exclude their memory
> from the kernel mapping entirely. Heck, in a setup like this, we can
> maybe even get away with turning PTI off under very, very controlled
> circumstances. Iâm not quite sure what to do about the kernel random
> pools, though.

I think KVM already allows excluding VMs memory from the kernel mapping
with the "new guest mapping interface" [1]. The memory managed by the host
can be restricted with "mem=" and KVM maps/unmaps the guest memory pages
only when needed.

It would be interesting to see if /dev/xpfo or even
madvise(MAKE_MY_MEMORY_PRIVATE) can be made useful for multi-tenant
container hosts.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/1548966284-28642-1-git-send-email-karahmed@xxxxxxxxx/

--
Sincerely yours,