Re: RFC: call_rcu_outstanding (was Re: WARNING in __mmdrop)

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Mon Jul 22 2019 - 11:55:46 EST

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 11:47:24AM -0400, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 11:14:39AM -0400, Joel Fernandes wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> > Other than what Paul already mentioned about deadlocks, I am not sure if this
> > would even work for all cases since call_rcu() has to wait for a grace
> > period.
> >
> > So, if the number of outstanding requests are higher than a certain amount,
> > then you *still* have to wait for some RCU configurations for the grace
> > period duration and cannot just execute the callback in-line. Did I miss
> > something?
> >
> > Can waiting in-line for a grace period duration be tolerated in the vhost case?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > - Joel
>
> No, but it has many other ways to recover (try again later, drop a
> packet, use a slower copy to/from user).

True enough! And your idea of taking recovery action based on the number
of callbacks seems like a good one while we are getting RCU's callback
scheduling improved.

By the way, was this a real problem that you could make happen on real
hardware? If not, I would suggest just letting RCU get improved over
the next couple of releases.

If it is something that you actually made happen, please let me know
what (if anything) you need from me for your callback-counting EBUSY
scheme.

Thanx, Paul