Re: WARNING in __mmdrop

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Date: Wed Jul 24 2019 - 04:05:29 EST

On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 10:17:14AM +0800, Jason Wang wrote:

> On 2019/7/23 äå11:02, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

> > > In vhost_map_prefetch() we do:
> > >
> > > ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ spin_lock(&vq->mmu_lock);
> > >
> > > Â Â Â Â ...
> > >
> > > ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ err = -EFAULT;
> > > ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ if (vq->invalidate_count)
> > > ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ goto err;
> > >
> > > ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ...
> > >
> > > ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ npinned = __get_user_pages_fast(uaddr->uaddr, npages,
> > > ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ uaddr->write, pages);
> > >
> > > ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ...
> > >
> > > ÂÂÂ ÂÂÂ spin_unlock(&vq->mmu_lock);
> > >
> > > Is this not sufficient?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > So what orders __get_user_pages_fast wrt invalidate_count read?
>

> So in invalidate_end() callback we have:
>
> spin_lock(&vq->mmu_lock);
> --vq->invalidate_count;
> ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ spin_unlock(&vq->mmu_lock);
>

> So even PTE is read speculatively before reading invalidate_count (only in
> the case of invalidate_count is zero). The spinlock has guaranteed that we
> won't read any stale PTEs.
>
> Thanks

I'm sorry I just do not get the argument.
If you want to order two reads you need an smp_rmb
or stronger between them executed on the same CPU.

Executing any kind of barrier on another CPU
will have no ordering effect on the 1st one.

So if CPU1 runs the prefetch, and CPU2 runs invalidate
callback, read of invalidate counter on CPU1 can bypass
read of PTE on CPU1 unless there's a barrier
in between, and nothing CPU2 does can affect that outcome.

What did I miss?