Re: WARNING in __mmdrop

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Date: Thu Jul 25 2019 - 14:06:32 EST

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 09:21:22PM +0800, Jason Wang wrote:

> On 2019/7/25 äå4:28, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

> > > Yes, but it's not the only lock. I don't remember the details, but I can
> > > confirm I meet issues with one or two other locks.

> > > The problem is the vq address could be changed at this time.

> > > Consider we switch to use kfree_rcu(), what's the advantage of per-vq SRCU?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> >
> > I thought we established that notifiers must wait for
> > all readers to finish before they mark page dirty, to
> > prevent page from becoming dirty after address
> > has been invalidated.
> > Right?
>

> Exactly, and that's the reason actually I use synchronize_rcu() there.
>
> So the concern is still the possible synchronize_expedited()?

I think synchronize_srcu_expedited.

synchronize_expedited sends lots of IPI and is bad for realtime VMs.

> Can I do this
> on through another series on top of the incoming V2?
>
> Thanks

The question is this: is this still a gain if we switch to the
more expensive srcu? If yes then we can keep the feature on,
if not we'll put it off until next release and think
of better solutions. rcu->srcu is just a find and replace,
don't see why we need to defer that. can be a separate patch
for sure, but we need to know how well it works.

--
MST