Slowness forming TIPC cluster with explicit node addresses

From: Chris Packham
Date: Thu Jul 25 2019 - 19:37:22 EST

Hi,

I'm having problems forming a TIPC cluster between 2 nodes.

This is the basic steps I'm going through on each node.

modprobe tipc
ip link set eth2 up
tipc node set addr 1.1.5 # or 1.1.6
tipc bearer enable media eth dev eth0

Then to confirm if the cluster is formed I useÂtipc link list

[root@node-5 ~]# tipc link list
broadcast-link: up

Looking at tcpdump the two nodes are sending packetsÂ

22:30:05.782320 TIPC v2.0 1.1.5 > 0.0.0, headerlength 60 bytes,
MessageSize 76 bytes, Neighbor Detection Protocol internal, messageType
Link request
22:30:05.863555 TIPC v2.0 1.1.6 > 0.0.0, headerlength 60 bytes,
MessageSize 76 bytes, Neighbor Detection Protocol internal, messageType
Link request

Eventually (after a few minutes) the link does come up

[root@node-6Â~]# tipc link list
broadcast-link: up
1001006:eth2-1001005:eth2: up

[root@node-5Â~]# tipc link list
broadcast-link: up
1001005:eth2-1001006:eth2: up

When I remove the "tipc node set addr" things seem to kick into life
straight away

[root@node-5 ~]# tipc link list
broadcast-link: up
0050b61bd2aa:eth2-0050b61e6dfa:eth2: up

So there appears to be some difference in behaviour between having an
explicit node address and using the default. Unfortunately our
application relies on setting the node addresses.

[root@node-5 ~]# uname -a
Linux linuxbox 5.2.0-at1+ #8 SMP Thu Jul 25 23:22:41 UTC 2019 ppc
GNU/Linux

Any thoughts on the problem?