Re: drm pull for v5.3-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Aug 06 2019 - 14:51:06 EST

On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 12:38 AM Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Seems like no one took this up. Below is a version which I think is
> slightly better by also moving the mm_walk structure initialization
> into the helpers, with an outcome of just a handful of added lines.

Ack. Agreed, I think that's a nicer interface.

In fact, I do note that a lot of the users don't actually use the
"void *private" argument at all - they just want the walker - and just
pass in a NULL private pointer. So we have things like this:

> + if (walk_page_range(&init_mm, va, va + size, &set_nocache_walk_ops,
> + NULL)) {

and in a perfect world we'd have arguments with default values so that
we could skip those entirely for when people just don't need it.

I'm not a huge fan of C++ because of a lot of the complexity (and some
really bad decisions), but many of the _syntactic_ things in C++ would
be nice to use. This one doesn't seem to be one that the gcc people
have picked up as an extension ;(

Yes, yes, we could do it with a macro, I guess.

#define walk_page_range(mm, start,end, ops, ...) \
__walk_page_range(mm, start, end, (NULL , ## __VA_ARGS__))

but I'm not sure it's worthwhile.

Linus