Re: [RFC V1 RESEND 0/6] Introduce dynamic allocation/freeing of MSI-X vectors

From: Megha Dey
Date: Tue Aug 06 2019 - 14:51:41 EST

On Thu, 2019-08-01 at 19:24 -0500, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> Hi Megha,
>
> On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 05:19:32PM -0700, Megha Dey wrote:
> >
> > Currently, MSI-X vector enabling and allocation for a PCIe device
> > is
> > static i.e. a device driver gets only one chance to enable a
> > specific
> > number of MSI-X vectors, usually during device probe. Also, in many
> > cases, drivers usually reserve more than required number of vectors
> > anticipating their use, which unnecessarily blocks resources that
> > could have been made available to other devices. Lastly, there is
> > no
> > way for drivers to reserve more vectors, if the MSI-x has already
> > been
> > enabled for that device.
> > Hence, a dynamic MSI-X kernel infrastructure can benefit drivers by
> > deferring MSI-X allocation to post probe phase, where actual demand
> > information is available.
> > This patchset enables the dynamic allocation/de-allocation of MSI-X
> > vectors by introducing 2 new APIs:
> > pci_alloc_irq_vectors_dyn() and pci_free_irq_vectors_grp():
> >
> > We have had requests from some of the NIC/RDMA users who have lots
> > of
> > interrupt resources and would like to allocate them on demand,
> > instead of using an all or none approach.
> >
> > The APIs are fairly well tested (multiple
> > allocations/deallocations),
> > but we have no early adopters yet. Hence, sending this series as an
> > RFC for review and comments.
> >
> > The patches are based out of Linux 5.2-rc5.
> >
> > Megha Dey (6):
> > Â PCI/MSI: New structures/macros for dynamic MSI-X allocation
> > Â PCI/MSI: Dynamic allocation of MSI-X vectors by group
> > Â x86: Introduce the dynamic teardown function
> > Â PCI/MSI: Introduce new structure to manage MSI-x entries
> s/MSI-x/MSI-X/
> If "entries" here means the same as "vectors" above, please use the
> same word.

Hi Bjorn,

Well, here entries basically mean the msi_desc entries. I thought MSI
vectors are used for each address/data pair, hence used the term
entries. Will update it to vectors to ensure uniformity.

> > Â PCI/MSI: Free MSI-X resources by group
> Is "resources" the same as "vectors"?

Yes, will update this in V2.

> > Â Documentation: PCI/MSI: Document dynamic MSI-X infrastructure
> When you post a v2 after addressing Thomas' comments, please make
> these subject lines imperative sentences beginning with a descriptive
> verb.ÂÂYou can run "git log --oneline drivers/pci" to see the style.

Sure, I will update the subject lines in V2.

> If you're adding a specific interface or structure, mention it by
> name
> in the subject if it's practical.ÂÂThe "x86" line needs a little more
> context; I assume it should include "IRQ", "MSI-X", or something.

True, will change this in V2.