Re: [GIT PULL] Please pull powerpc/linux.git powerpc-5.3-4 tag

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Aug 10 2019 - 13:21:23 EST

On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 3:11 AM Michael Ellerman <mpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Just one fix, a revert of a commit that was meant to be a minor improvement to
> some inline asm, but ended up having no real benefit with GCC and broke booting
> 32-bit machines when using Clang.

Pulled, but whenever there are possible subtle compiler issues I get
nervous, and wonder if the problem was reported to the clang guys?

In particular, if the kernel change was technically correct, maybe
somebody else comes along in a few years and tries the same, and then
it's another odd "why doesn't this work for person X when it works
just fine for me"..

Linus