Re: io.latency controller apparently not working

From: Josef Bacik
Date: Mon Aug 19 2019 - 13:49:44 EST

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 07:00:56PM +0200, Paolo Valente wrote:

> >> Yep

> >> ext4

> >> Could you elaborate more on this? I/O seems to be controllable on ext4.

> >> Actually, the problem is suffered by sync random reads, which always
> >> hit the disk in this test.

> >> I'm not getting why non-direct sync reads, or buffered writes, should
> >> be uncontrollable. As a trivial example, BFQ in this tests controls
> >> I/O as expected, and keeps latency extremely low.
> >>
> >> What am I missing?
> >>

> > While waiting for your answer, I've added also the direct-I/O case to
> > my test. Now we have also this new case reproduced by the command
> > line reported in the draft.

Sorry something caught fire and I got distracted.

> > Even with direct I/O, nothing changes with writers as interferers,
> > apart from latency becoming at least equal to the case of no I/O
> > control for the HDD. Summing up, with writers as interferers (latency
> > in ms):
> >
> > no I/O control io.latency BFQ
> > NVMe SSD 3 3 0.2
> > SATA SSD 3 3 0.2
> > HDD 56 56 13
> >
> > In contrast, there are important improvements with the SSDs, in case
> > of readers as interferers. This is the new situation (latency still
> > in ms):
> >
> > no I/O control io.latency BFQ
> > NVMe SSD 1.9 0.08 0.07
> > SATA SSD 39 0.2 0.7
> > HDD 4500 118 11
> >

> I'm sorry, I didn't repeat tests with direct I/O for BFQ too. And
> results change for BFQ too in case of readers as interferes. Here
> are all correct figures for readers as interferers (latency in ms):
>
> no I/O control io.latency BFQ
> NVMe SSD 1.9 0.08 0.07
> SATA SSD 39 0.2 0.2
> HDD 4500 118 10

Alright so it's working right with reads an O_DIRECT. I'm not entirely sure
what's happening with the buffered side, I will investigate.

The writes I don't expect to work on ext4, there's a priority inversion in ext4
that I haven't bothered to work around since we use btrfs anywhere we want io
control. That being said it shouldn't be behaving this poorly. Once I've
wrapped up what I'm currently working on I'll run through this and figure out
the weirdness for these two cases. Thanks,

Josef