Re: [v2 08/10] scripts: Coccinelle script for namespace dependencies

From: Matthias Maennich
Date: Thu Aug 22 2019 - 09:45:02 EST

On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 03:50:38PM +0200, Markus Elfring wrote:
+generate_deps_for_ns() {
+ $SPATCH --very-quiet --in-place --sp-file \
+ $srctree/scripts/coccinelle/misc/add_namespace.cocci -D ns=$1 $2
+}

* Where will the variable âsrctreeâ be set for the file âscripts/nsdepsâ?

$srctree is defined by kbuild in the toplevel Makefile.

* Would you like to support a separate build directory for desired adjustments?

No, as the purpose of this script is to directly patch the kernel
sources where applicable.

* How do you think about to check error handling around such commands?

spatch emits a descriptive message on error. I will add a 'set
-e' to the script so that it aborts on errors.

+generate_deps() {
+ for source_file in $mod_source_files; do
+ sed '/MODULE_IMPORT_NS/Q' $source_file > ${source_file}.tmp

I suggest to assign the name for the temporary file to a variable
which should be used by subsequent commands.

I somehow don't agree that this is an improvement to the code as the
variable would likely be something like ${source_file_tmp}. Sticking to
${source_file}.tmp does express the intent of a temporary file next to
the original source file and the reader of the code does not need to
reason about the value of ${source_file_tmp}.

Cheers,
Matthias