Re: Regression in 5.1.20: Reading long directory fails

From: J. Bruce Fields
Date: Wed Aug 28 2019 - 14:33:56 EST

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 01:29:00PM -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> If I had any idea how to do that, I happily would. I'm certainly
> willing to learn. At least I can run strace to see where ls bombs:

Somewhat of a caveman, I might start at the code for getdents, sprinkle
printk's around until I get down to the relevant code in the NFS
layer.... There's probably a better way to do it with tracing.

> getdents64(5, 0x7fc13afaf040, 262144) = -1 EIO (Input/output error)
>
> bcodding on IRC mentioned that is a rather large count. Does make me
> wonder if the server is weirding out and sending the client bogus data.
> Certainly a server reboot, or maybe even just unmounting and remounting
> the filesystem or copying the data to another filesystem would tell me
> that. In any case, as soon as I am able to mess with that server, I'll
> know more.

Might also be worth capturing the network traffic and checking whether
wireshark thinks the server replies are valid xdr.

--b.