Re: next-20190826 - objtool fails to build.

From: Valdis KlÄtnieks
Date: Wed Aug 28 2019 - 15:30:13 EST

On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 10:10:04 -0500, Josh Poimboeuf said:

> But I don't see how those warnings could get enabled: -Wsign-compare
> -Wunused-parameter.
>
> Can you "make clean" and do "make V=1 tools/objtool" to show the actual
> flags?

And that tells me those warnings in fact don't get specifically enabled.
(I've added some line breaks for sanity)

gcc -Wp,-MD,/usr/src/linux-next/tools/objtool/.special.o.d -Wp,-MT,/usr/src/linux-next/tools/objtool/special.o -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wall -Wextra -Wbad-function-cast

Found the cause of the mystery - I changed something in a bash profile, and
as a result...

export CFLAGS="-O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wall -Wextra"

And -Wextra pulls in the things that cause problems. So this is mostly
self-inflicted.

The real question then becomes - should the Makefile sanitize CFLAGS or just
append to whatever the user supplied as it does currently? The rest of the tree
sanitizes CFLAG, because I don't get deluged in -Wsign-compare warnings all
over the place...