Re: objtool warning "uses BP as a scratch register" with clang-9

From: Josh Poimboeuf
Date: Fri Aug 30 2019 - 11:02:14 EST

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 03:26:30PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 1:22 PM Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Maybe we can just pass -fno-builtin-memcpy -fno-builtin-memset
> > for clang when CONFIG_KASAN is set and hope for the best?
>
> I really hate how that disables conversions both ways, which is kind
> of pointless and wrong. It's really just "we don't want surprising
> memcpy calls for single writes".
>
> Disabling all the *good* "optimize memset/memcpy" cases is really sad.
>
> We actually have a lot of small structures in the kernel on purpose
> (often for type safety), and I bet we use memcpy on them on purpose at
> times. I'd hate to see that become a function call rather than "copy
> two words by hand".
>
> Even for KASAN.
>
> And I guess that when the compiler sees 20+ "set to zero" it's quite
> reasonable to say "just turn it into a memset".

For KASAN, the Clang threshold for inserting memset() is *2* consecutive
writes instead of 17. Isn't that likely to cause tearing-related
surprises?

I suppose people don't run KASAN in production, but we don't want
tearing-related bugs showing up there because somebody's going to end up
having to debug them regardless.

--
Josh