[PATCH v4 00/11] Device property improvements, add %pfw format specifier
From: Sakari Ailus
Date: Mon Sep 02 2019 - 04:32:56 EST
This set adds functionality into the device property API (counting a
node's parents as well as obtaining its name) in order to support printing
fwnode names using a new conversion specifier "%pfw". The names that are
produced are equivalent to its OF counterpart "%pOF" on OF systems for the
two supported modifiers ("f" and "P").
Printing a node's name is something that's been available on OF for a long
time and if something is converted to device property API (such as the
V4L2 fwnode framework) it always got removed of a nice feature that was
sometimes essential in debugging. With this set, that no longer is the
- Remove underscores in argument name of fwnode_count_parents().
- Re-introduce "%pO?" error string.
- Unwrap a call to string() in fwnode_string().
- Removed a useless Depends-on: on a patch that was merged long ago.
- Unwrap a Fixes: line.
- Added a patch to move fwnode_get_parent() up to make the review of the
following patch easier.
- Better comments in acpi_fwnode_get_name_prefix().
- Added swnode implementation.
- Fixed swnode refcounting in get_parent() ("swnode: Get reference to
parent swnode in get_parent op")
- Make argument to to_software_node() const (a new patch)
- Factored out confusingly named kobject_string() that had a single
- Cleaner fwnode_count_parents() implementation (as discussed in review).
- Made fwnode_count_parents() argument const.
- Added tests (last patch in the set).
- Add patch to remove support for %pf and %pF (depends on another patch
removing all use of %pf and %pF) (now 4th patch)
- Fix kerneldoc argument documentation for fwnode_get_name (2nd patch)
- Align kerneldoc style with the rest of drivers/base/property.c (no extra
newline after function name)
- Make checkpatch.pl complain about "%pf" not followed by "w" (6th patch)
- WARN_ONCE() on use of invalid conversion specifiers ("%pf" not followed
Sakari Ailus (11):
software node: Get reference to parent swnode in get_parent op
software node: Make argument to to_software_node const
device property: Move fwnode_get_parent() up
device property: Add functions for accessing node's parents
device property: Add fwnode_get_name for returning the name of a node
device property: Add a function to obtain a node's prefix
lib/vsprintf: Remove support for %pF and %pf in favour of %pS and %ps
lib/vsprintf: Make use of fwnode API to obtain node names and
lib/vsprintf: OF nodes are first and foremost, struct device_nodes
lib/vsprintf: Add %pfw conversion specifier for printing fwnode names
lib/test_printf: Add tests for %pfw printk modifier
Documentation/core-api/printk-formats.rst | 34 ++++++---
drivers/acpi/property.c | 48 +++++++++++++
drivers/base/property.c | 83 +++++++++++++++++++--
drivers/base/swnode.c | 55 +++++++++++++-
drivers/of/property.c | 16 +++++
include/linux/fwnode.h | 4 ++
include/linux/property.h | 8 ++-
lib/test_printf.c | 37 ++++++++++
lib/vsprintf.c | 88 ++++++++++++++---------
scripts/checkpatch.pl | 4 +-
10 files changed, 319 insertions(+), 58 deletions(-)