Re: [GIT PULL] compiler-attributes for v5.3-rc8

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Sep 05 2019 - 13:22:55 EST

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 10:18 AM Nick Desaulniers
<ndesaulniers@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Please consider picking up just:
> https://github.com/ojeda/linux/commit/c97e82b97f4bba00304905fe7965f923abd2d755
> That lone patch is the one that fixes the particularly observed Oops.
> The rest are just cleanup; if I made that change in the more important
> patch, why not clean up the rest of the instances in the kernel?

"Why not just clean up the rest" is how bugs happen.

If it's not a fix, and it's not marked for stable (or a regression
from the merge window) it shouldn't go in this late in the rc period.

Send me _fixes_. Don't send me stuff that is "fixes plus random
cleanups that were noticed at the same time".

Linus