Re: WARNING at net/mac80211/sta_info.c:1057 (__sta_info_destroy_part2())

From: Kalle Valo
Date: Wed Sep 11 2019 - 14:48:20 EST

Johannes Berg <johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Wed, 2019-09-11 at 21:19 +0300, Kalle Valo wrote:
>> > Looks like indeed the driver gives the device at least *3 seconds* for
>> > every command, see ath10k_wmi_cmd_send(), so most likely this would
>> > eventually have finished, but who knows how many firmware commands it
>> > would still have attempted to send...
>>
>> 3 seconds is a bit short but in normal cases it should be enough. Of
>> course we could increase the delay but I'm skeptic it would help here.
>
> I was thinking 3 seconds is way too long :-)

Heh :)

>> > Perhaps the driver should mark the device as dead and fail quickly once
>> > it timed out once, or so, but I'll let Kalle comment on that.
>>
>> Actually we do try to restart the device when a timeout happens in
>> ath10k_wmi_cmd_send():
>>
>> if (ret == -EAGAIN) {
>> ath10k_warn(ar, "wmi command %d timeout, restarting hardware\n",
>> cmd_id);
>> queue_work(ar->workqueue, &ar->restart_work);
>> }
>
> Yeah, and this is the problem, in a sense, I'd think. It seems to me
> that at this point the code needs to tag the device as "dead" and
> immediately return from any further commands submitted to it with an
> error (e.g. -EIO).

Yeah, ath10k_core_restart() is supposed change to state
ATH10K_STATE_RESTARTING but very few mac80211 ops in ath10k_ops are
checking for it, and to me it looks like quite late even. I think a
proper fix for ops which can sleep is to check ar->state is
ATH10K_STATE_ON and for ops which cannot sleep check
ATH10K_FLAG_CRASH_FLUSH.

But of course this just fixes the symptoms, the root cause for timeouts
needs to be found as well.

--
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/submittingpatches