Re: Linux 5.3-rc8

From: Matthew Garrett
Date: Mon Sep 16 2019 - 22:07:34 EST

On 16 September 2019 18:41:36 GMT-07:00, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 6:24 PM Matthew Garrett <mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>wrote:
>>
>> Exactly the scenario where you want getrandom() to block, yes.
>
>It *would* block. Just not forever.

It's already not forever - there's enough running in the background of that system that it'll unblock eventually.

>And btw, the whole "generate key at boot when nothing else is going
>on" is already broken, so presumably nobody actually does it.

If nothing ever did this, why was getrandom() designed in a way to protect against this situation?

>See why I'm saying "hypothetical"? You're doing it again.
>
>> >Then you have to ignore the big warning too.
>>
>> The big warning that's only printed in dmesg?
>
>Well, the patch actually made getrandom() return en error too, but you
>seem more interested in the hypotheticals than in arguing actualities.

If you want to be safe, terminate the process.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx