Re: [GIT] Networking

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Sep 18 2019 - 16:38:18 EST

Hmm. This adds that NET_TC_SKB_EXT config thing, and makes it "default y".

Why?

It's also done in a crazy way:

+ depends on NET_CLS_ACT
+ default y if NET_CLS_ACT

yeah, that's some screwed-up thinking right there. First it depends on
another config variable, and then it defaults to "y" if that variable
is set.

That's all kinds of messed up:

- we shouldn't "default y" for new features unless those features are
somehow critical (ie typically maybe it was a feature we already had,
but that now grew a config option to configure it _away_)

- that's a very confused way of saying "default y" (which you
shouldn't say in the first place)

- there's no explanation for why it should be enabled by default anyway.

I've obviously already pulled this (and only noticed when I was
testing further on my laptop), but please explain or fix.

Linus