Re: [RFC v4 0/3] vhost: introduce mdev based hardware backend

From: Jason Wang
Date: Thu Sep 19 2019 - 09:08:37 EST

On 2019/9/18 äå10:32, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
So I have some questions:

1) Compared to method 2, what's the advantage of creating a new vhost char
device? I guess it's for keep the API compatibility?
One benefit is that we can avoid doing vhost ioctls on
VFIO device fd.
Yes, but any benefit from doing this?
It does seem a bit more modular, but it's certainly not a big deal.

Ok, if we go this way, it could be as simple as provide some callback to vhost, then vhost can just forward the ioctl through parent_ops.

2) For method 2, is there any easy way for user/admin to distinguish e.g
ordinary vfio-mdev for vhost from ordinary vfio-mdev?
I think device-api could be a choice.
Ok.

I saw you introduce
ops matching helper but it's not friendly to management.
The ops matching helper is just to check whether a given
vfio-device is based on a mdev device.

3) A drawback of 1) and 2) is that it must follow vfio_device_ops that
assumes the parameter comes from userspace, it prevents support kernel
virtio drivers.

4) So comes the idea of method 3, since it register a new vhost-mdev driver,
we can use device specific ops instead of VFIO ones, then we can have a
common API between vDPA parent and vhost-mdev/virtio-mdev drivers.
As the above draft shows, this requires introducing a new
VFIO device driver. I think Alex's opinion matters here.

Just to clarify, a new type of mdev driver but provides dummy vfio_device_ops for VFIO to make container DMA ioctl work.

Thanks

Yes, it is.

Thanks