Re: [GIT PULL] Modules updates for v5.4

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Sep 22 2019 - 14:24:53 EST

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 8:28 AM Jessica Yu <jeyu@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The main bulk of this pull request introduces a new exported symbol
> namespaces feature.

Hmm.

So I merged this, and felt that I tested my merge resolution fairly
well, and then pushed it out.

But during more extensive testing for special cases, I notice that
MODULE_IMPORT_NS() does not work at all when modules are disabled.

In particular, it causes errors like this:

drivers/usb/storage/uas.c:1222:1: warning: data definition has no
type or storage class
1222 | MODULE_IMPORT_NS(USB_STORAGE);

because without modules, MODULE_IMPORT_NS() doesn't get #define'd at all.

This is not a merge error - it's an error in the original.

Tssk. I hate finding stupid bugs like this myself. Particularly when I
find them quickly from a simple "what if" test.

Yes, some of it goes to just bad luck with linux-next, but some of
this is simply people not thinking about different cases.

Tssk tssk.

Linus