Re: For review: pidfd_send_signal(2) manual page

From: Daniel Colascione
Date: Mon Sep 23 2019 - 07:31:49 EST

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 2:12 AM Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
<mtk.manpages@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The pidfd_send_signal() system call allows the avoidance of race
> conditions that occur when using traditional interfaces (such as
> kill(2)) to signal a process. The problem is that the traditional
> interfaces specify the target process via a process ID (PID), with
> the result that the sender may accidentally send a signal to the
> wrong process if the originally intended target process has termiâ
> nated and its PID has been recycled for another process. By conâ
> trast, a PID file descriptor is a stable reference to a specific
> process; if that process terminates, then the file descriptor
> ceases to be valid

The file *descriptor* remains valid even after the process to which it
refers exits. You can close(2) the file descriptor without getting
EBADF. I'd say, instead, that "a PID file descriptor is a stable
reference to a specific process; process-related operations on a PID
file descriptor fail after that process exits".