Re: [GIT PULL] Kselftest update for Linux 5.4-rc1

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Sep 23 2019 - 15:43:30 EST

* Shuah Khan <skhan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am exploring the possibility to move selftests to a better location
> or add a git alias so it can be found easily. With the addition of
> KUnit and future work that is planned to connect kselftest and KUnit,
> it would make sense have selftests to be in a location that is better
> suited than where it currently resides.
>
> I have been getting feedback from some developers that they would like
> to see selftests more visible and easier to find.
>
> There are some dependencies (unintended, shouldn't exist) between some
> tests and content under tools that might pose some logistical problems,
> in addition to the churn of backporting.
>
> I haven't explored "git alias" yet though. Since this topic of moving
> came up, I would liek to get feedback on selftests location in general
> and where would be a good place for it.

I'm not sure about the Git alias thing - but I do agree that
tools/testing/selftests is a pretty obscure location given the importance
of kernel unit tests - and I think it could be moved one level higher, to
tools/selftests? The "selftest" name already implies the "test" aspect
after all.

Thanks,

Ingo