Re: [GIT PULL] Kselftest update for Linux 5.4-rc1

From: Shuah Khan
Date: Mon Sep 23 2019 - 16:29:27 EST

On 9/23/19 1:52 PM, Randy Dunlap wrote:
On 9/23/19 12:43 PM, Ingo Molnar wrote:

* Shuah Khan <skhan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am exploring the possibility to move selftests to a better location
or add a git alias so it can be found easily. With the addition of
KUnit and future work that is planned to connect kselftest and KUnit,
it would make sense have selftests to be in a location that is better
suited than where it currently resides.

I have been getting feedback from some developers that they would like
to see selftests more visible and easier to find.

There are some dependencies (unintended, shouldn't exist) between some
tests and content under tools that might pose some logistical problems,
in addition to the churn of backporting.

I haven't explored "git alias" yet though. Since this topic of moving
came up, I would liek to get feedback on selftests location in general
and where would be a good place for it.

I'm not sure about the Git alias thing - but I do agree that
tools/testing/selftests is a pretty obscure location given the importance
of kernel unit tests - and I think it could be moved one level higher, to
tools/selftests? The "selftest" name already implies the "test" aspect
after all.

Right. Obscure location given the importance is the problem.

Without trying to use too much paint, I would move testing/ to a top-level
dir, outside of tools/, and leave selftest/ under testing/.

Right. What you suggesting is very similar to and more complete than
what I have been thinking about and proposed at the KS kselftest track.

i.e move tools/testing/selftests to kselftest at the root level. I like
your idea of moving tools/testing up to root and keep selftests under
it.

If we are good with this kind of change, I would like to get this done
sooner than later. There is some back-porting churn to worry about.

thanks,
-- Shuah