Re: [GIT PULL] MIPS changes

From: David Howells
Date: Tue Sep 24 2019 - 08:40:21 EST

Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In honesty, I actually do have one warning in my tree:
>
> samples/vfs/test-statx.c:24:15: warning: âstruct fooâ declared
> inside parameter list will not be visible outside of this definition
> or declaration
> 24 | #define statx foo
> | ^~~

Were there any note lines from the compiler associated with this? The warning
message can't actually be taking place on this line.

Another thing I'm wondering is why your compiler shows this warning - and mine
does not. I've seen this before with uninitialised variables too where you
get a warning and I don't.

> but because it's in the sample code, it pretty much never gets rebuilt
> for me unless I basically do a "git clean" to get rid of everything,
> so I don't normally see it for any normal pull.
>
> So I've ignored that one warning, although I've actually been tempted
> to just remove the sample because of it.
>
> Adding David and Al to the cc just in case they have some simple fixup
> for it that is likely to work across different user headers.
>
> I considered just adding a
>
> struct foo;
>
> declaration, but the whole thing is incredibly ugly.

Yeah - I'm not sure the best way to deal with this. The problem being that
userspace may have a conflicting definition - or no definition at all - and I
need to use the one from the kernel in preference as that may have changes in
it that aren't yet reflected in userspace.

I'd rather not remove the sample if I can avoid it as I use it occasionally,
but maybe I should switch to relying on glibc.

David