Time stamp value in printk records

From: Sodagudi Prasad
Date: Mon Sep 30 2019 - 09:33:47 EST

Hi All,

From Qualcomm side, we would like to check with upstream team about adding Raw time stamp value to printk records. On Qualcomm soc, there are various DSPs subsystems are there - for example audio, video and modem DSPs.
Adding raw timer value(along with sched_clock()) in the printk record helps in the following use cases â
1) To find out which subsystem crashed first - Whether application processor crashed first or DSP subsystem?
2) If there are any system stability issues on the DSP side, what is the activity on the APPS processor side during that time?

Initially during the device boot up, printk shed_clock value can be matched with timer raw value used on the dsp subsystem, but after APPS processor suspends several times, we donât have way to correlate the time stamp value on the DSP and APPS processor. All timers(both apps processor timer and dsp timers) are derived from globally always on timer on Qualcomm soc, So keeping global timer raw values in printk records and dsp logs help to correlate the activity of all the processors in SoC.

It would be great if upstream team adds common solution this problem if all soc vendors would get benefit by adding raw timer value to printk records.

-Thanks, Prasad

--
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora Forum,
Linux Foundation Collaborative Project