Linux 5.4-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Sep 30 2019 - 17:06:16 EST

I didn't really extend the merge window by a day here, but I gave
myself an extra day to merge my pending queue. Thus the Monday date
for the rc1 rather than the usual Sunday afternoon.

And it wasn't all _that_ big or painful a merge window, for some
reason I just didn't get to the end of the queue until fairly late in
the second week, and continued to get a few more pull requests even
then. Part of it was just other discussions too happening, so I didn't
do _just_ merges all the time. But part of it was just that I also
spent some of Sunday away from the computer, doing some welding
instead.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that the Monday rc1 isn't really a sign of
any real trouble or more issues than usual. More just random timing.

Size-wise, 5.4 looks to shape up very regular. It's almost exactly the
same size as 5.3 was at the same stage, both in commits and in lines
added (honestly in advertising: 5.3 had more lines removed mainly due
to some isdn removal). Nothing major stands out, the most notable may
be the long-pending lockdown patches that weren't all that big, but
that now finally aren't tied to just EFI secure boot, so you can test
them out other ways too.

But there's changes all over. The patch is (once again) dominated by
some AMD DRM register definition header file churn, which is almost
half of it just by lines. But that's the nature of those beasts, being
largely autogenerated from hw descriptions, and you should ignore it.

And if you do ignore those (very boring) header file changes, you'll
see mostly the usual distribution: about 60% driver updates (GPU,
networking, sound, staging), with the rest being the usual mix of
architecture updates (ia64 shows up thanks to removal of the odd sn
platform, but it's otherwise mostly arm[64], powerpc and x86),
tooling, filesystems, documentation and misc (core networking, code
kernel and VM, include files etc etc).

Much too many changes to list individually, and over 1500 individual
developers. The log below is just my usual "merge log" with who I
merge from and a oneliner very rough description of the area it
updates.

Go test, the merge window has now closed,

Linus

---

Al Viro (8):
vfs namei updates