nsdeps not working on modules in 5.4-rc1

From: Steve French
Date: Wed Oct 02 2019 - 19:46:12 EST

Following the instructions in Documentation/namespaces to autogenerate
the namespace changes to avoid the multiple build warnings in 5.4-rc1
for my module ... I am not able to get nsdeps to work. For example
in my module directory (fs/cifs) trying to build with nsdeps:

make -C /usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r` M=`pwd` modules nsdeps

gets the error "cat: ./modules.order: No such file or directory"

This is on Ubuntu 18, running current 5.4-rc1 kernel. It looks like
it is looking for modules.order in the wrong directory (it is present
in fs/cifs - but it looks like it is looking for it in /usr/src where
of course it won't be found)

I am trying to remove the hundreds of new warnings introduced by
namespaces in 5.4-rc1 when building my module e.g.

WARNING: module cifs uses symbol __fscache_acquire_cookie from
namespace .o: $(deps_/home/sfrench/cifs-2.6/fs/cifs/cache.o), but does
not import it.
--
Thanks,

Steve