Re: ptrace/strace and freezer oddities and v5.2+ kernels

From: Roman Gushchin
Date: Thu Oct 03 2019 - 20:10:14 EST

On Wed, Oct 02, 2019 at 05:59:36PM -0400, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 2:19 PM Roman Gushchin <guro@xxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Hi Roman,
> > >
> > > Correct. In particular, running some of the tests that ship with strace itself.
> > > The performance change is so drastic, that it definitely makes you wonder
> > > "What have I done wrong? Since everyone must be seeing this" .. and I
> > > always blame myself first.

> > > That would be great.
> > >
> > > I'll attempt to remove all of the build system specifics out of this
> > > (and Richard Purdie
> > > on the cc' of this can probably help provide more details / setup info as well).
> > >
> > > We are running the built-in tests of strace. So here's a cut and paste of what I
> > > did to get the tests available (ignore/skip what is common sense or isn't needed
> > > in your test rig).
> > >
> > > % git clone https://github.com/strace/strace.git
> > > % cd strace
> > > % ./bootstrap
> > > # the --enable flag isn't strictly required, but may break on some
> > > build machines
> > > % ./configure --enable-mpers=no
> > > % make
> > > % make check-TESTS
> > >
> > > That last step will not only build the tests, but run them all .. so
> > > ^c the run once
> > > it starts, since it is a lot of noise (we carry a patch to strace that
> > > allows us to build
> > > the tests without running them).
> > >
> > > % cd tests
> > > % time strace -o log -qq -esignal=none -e/clock ./printpath-umovestr > fff
> > > real 0m2.566s
> > > user 0m0.284s
> > > sys 0m2.519
> > >
> > > On pre-cgroup2 freezer kernels, you see a run time similar to what I have above.
> > > On the newer kernels we are testing, it is taking 3 or 4 minutes to
> > > run the test.
> > >
> > > I hope that is simple enough to setup and try. Since I've been seeing
> > > this on both
> > > mainline kernels and the yocto reference kernels, I don't think it is
> > > something that
> > > I'm carrying in the distro/reference kernel that is causing this (but
> > > again, I always
> > > blame myself first). If you don't see that same run time, then that
> > > does point the finger
> > > back at what we are doing and I'll have to apologize for chewing up some of your
> > > time.
> >
> > Thank you for the detailed description!
> > I'll try to reproduce the issue and will be back
> > by the end of the week.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> While discussing the issue with a few yocto folks today, it came up that
> someone wasn't seeing the same behaviour on the opensuse v5.2 kernel
> (but I've yet to figure out exactly where to find that tree) .. but when I do,
> I'll try and confirm that and will look for patches or config differences that
> could explain the results.
>
> I did confirm that 5.3 shows the same thing today, and I'll do a 5.4-rc1 test
> [...]

Hi Bruce!

I've tried to follow your steps, but unfortunately failed to reproduce the issue.
I've executed the test on my desktop running 5.2 and cgroup v1 (Fedora 30),
and also a qemu vm with vanilla 5.1 and 5.3 and cgroup v2 mounted by default.
In all cases the test execution time was about 4.5 seconds.

Looks like something makes your setup special. If you'll provide your
build config, qemu arguments or any other configuration files, I can try
to reproduce it on my side.

Thanks!

Roman