Re: New sysfs interface for privacy screens

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Date: Sun Oct 06 2019 - 16:41:11 EST

On Thu, 03 Oct 2019, Daniel Thompson wrote:
> I guess... although the Thinkpad code hasn't added any standard
> interfaces (no other laptop should be placing controls for a privacy
> screen in /proc/acpi/ibm/... ). Maybe its not too late.

As far as I am concerned, it is *not* too late. And you can always have
a driver-private way of messing with something, and a more generic way
of doing the same thing.

thinkpad-acpi will always welcome patches switching to the new generic
way (as long as we can have a deprecation period *for long-time-used
facilities* -- which is not the case of the privacy screen, no
deprecation period need there).

The privacy thing is too new, feel free to design a generic one and
send in a patch *switching* thinkpad-acpi to the new generic one.

I would ACK that. If the subsystem maintainer also agrees, (and nobody
*seriously* complain about it from userspace), the private interface
would be gone just like that.

--
Henrique Holschuh