Re: [Patch v5 2/6] sched/fair: Add infrastructure to store and update instantaneous thermal pressure

From: Vincent Guittot
Date: Thu Nov 07 2019 - 05:49:01 EST

On Thu, 7 Nov 2019 at 10:32, Dietmar Eggemann <dietmar.eggemann@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 06/11/2019 18:53, Thara Gopinath wrote:

> >> Coming back to the v4 discussion
> >> https://lore.kernel.org/r/379d23e5-79a5-9d90-0fb6-125d9be85e99@xxxxxxx
> >>
> >> There is no API between pelt.c and other parts of the scheduler/kernel
> >> so why should we keep an unnecessary parameter and wrapper functions?
> >>
> >> There is also no abstraction, update_thermal_load_avg() in pelt.c even
> >> carries '_thermal_' in its name.
> >>
> >> So why not define this shift value '[sched_|pelt_]thermal_decay_shift'
> >> there as well? It belongs to update_thermal_load_avg().
> >>
> >> All call sites of update_thermal_load_avg() use 'rq_clock_task(rq) >>
> >> sched_thermal_decay_shift' so I don't see the need to pass it in.
> >>
> >> IMHO, preparing for eventual code changes (e.g. parsing different now
> >> values) is not a good practice in the kernel. Keeping the code small and
> >> tidy is.
> >
> > I think we are going in circles on this one. I acknowledge you have an
> > issue. That being said, I also understand the need to keep the pelt
> > framework code tight. Also Ionela pointed out that there could be a need
> > for a faster decay in which case it could mean a left shift leading to
> > further complications if defined in pelt.c (I am not saying that I will
> > implement a faster decay in this patch set but it is more of a future
> > extension if needed!)
>
> The issue still exists so why not discussing it here?
>
> Placing thermal related time shift operations in a
> update_*thermal*_load_avg() PELT function look perfectly fine to me.

As already said, having thermal related clock shift operation in
update_thermal_load_avg and pelt.c is a nack for me

> > I can make trigger_thermal_pressure_average inline if that will
> > alleviate some of the concerns.

In fact, trigger_thermal_pressure_average is only there because of
shifting the clock which is introduced only in patch 6.
So remove trigger_thermal_pressure_average from this patch and call directly

+ update_thermal_load_avg(rq_clock_task(rq), rq,
+ per_cpu(thermal_pressure, cpu_of(rq)));

in patch3