Re: [EXT] Re: [net-next, 1/2] enetc: Configure the Time-Aware Scheduler via tc-taprio offload

From: Simon Horman
Date: Tue Nov 12 2019 - 08:50:50 EST

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 11:19:43AM +0000, Po Liu wrote:

> > > +/* class 5, command 0 */
> > > +struct tgs_gcl_conf {
> > > + u8 atc; /* init gate value */
> > > + u8 res[7];
> > > + union {
> > > + struct {
> > > + u8 res1[4];
> > > + __le16 acl_len;
> >
> > Given that u* types are used in this structure I think le16 would be more
> > appropriate than __le16.
>
> Here keep the same code style of this .h file. I think it is better to have another patch to fix them all. Do you agree?
>

> > > + u8 res2[2];
> > > + };
> > > + struct {
> > > + u32 cctl;
> > > + u32 ccth;
> > > + };
> >
> > I'm a little surprised to see host endian values in a structure that appears to be
> > written to hardware. Is this intentional?
>
> Will remove.

If the HW defines these fields then I think its fine to leave them,
though with the correct byte-order.

I was more asking if it is intentional that the value for these
fields, when sent to the HW, is always zero in the context of this
patch-set. Likewise elsewhere.

> > > +
> > > + gcl_data->ct = cpu_to_le32(admin_conf->cycle_time);
> > > + gcl_data->cte = cpu_to_le32(admin_conf->cycle_time_extension);
> > > +
> > > + for (i = 0; i < gcl_len; i++) {
> > > + struct tc_taprio_sched_entry *temp_entry;
> > > + struct gce *temp_gce = gce + i;
> > > +
> > > + temp_entry = &admin_conf->entries[i];
> > > +
> > > + temp_gce->gate = cpu_to_le32(temp_entry->gate_mask);
> >
> > Gate is a u8 followed by 3 reserved bytes.
> > Perhaps there needs to be some bounds checking on
> > the value stored there given that the source is 32bits wide.
> >
> > Also, its not clear to me that the above logic, which I assume
> > takes the last significant byte of a 32bit value, works on
> > big endian systems as the 32bit value is always little endian.
>
> temp_entry->gate_mask is 32bit for wide possible input. Here change to hardware set 8bit wide.
> Can it just be like:
> temp_gce->gate = (u8) temp_entry->gate_mask;

I think that would be better.
Perhaps its best to also mask out the unwanted bits.