Re: [patch V2 09/16] x86/ioperm: Move TSS bitmap update to exit to user work

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Tue Nov 12 2019 - 11:16:34 EST

+
> +static inline void switch_to_bitmap(unsigned long tifp)
> +{
> + /*
> + * Invalidate I/O bitmap if the previous task used it. If the next
> + * task has an I/O bitmap it will handle it on exit to user mode.
> + */
> + if (tifp & _TIF_IO_BITMAP)
> + tss_invalidate_io_bitmap(this_cpu_ptr(&cpu_tss_rw));
> +}

Shouldn't you be invalidating the io bitmap if the *next* task doesn't
use? Or is the rule that, when a non-io-bitmap-using task is running,
even in kernel mode, the io bitmap is always invalid.

As it stands, you need exit_thread() to invalidate the bitmap. I
assume it does, but I can't easily see it in the middle of the series
like this.

IOW your code might be fine, but it could at least use some comments
in appropriate places (exit_to_usermode_loop()?) that we guarantee
that, if the bit is *clear*, then the TSS has the io bitmap marked
invalid. And add an assertion under CONFIG_DEBUG_ENTRY.

Also, do you need to update EXIT_TO_USERMODE_LOOP_FLAGS?