Re: [RFC 1/2] docs: ftrace: Clarify the RAM impact of buffer_size_kb

From: Frank A. Cancio Bello
Date: Fri Nov 15 2019 - 11:00:00 EST

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 08:30:00AM -0500, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 23:24:28 -0500
> "Frank A. Cancio Bello" <frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 04:36:39PM -0500, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> > Not exactly in my opinion ;) The deleted text was not the problem. I
> > just deleted it because with the added text it turns to be redundant.
> >
> > The issue that I found with the documentation (maybe just to my
> > newbie's eyes) is in this part:
> >
> > "The trace buffers are allocated in pages (blocks of memory that the
> > kernel uses for allocation, usually 4 KB in size). If the last page
> > allocated has room for more bytes than requested, the rest of the
> > page will be used, making the actual allocation bigger than requested
> > or shown."
> >
> > For me that "suggests" the interpretation that the number of pages
> > allocated in the current implementation correspond with the round
> > integer division of buffer_size_kb / PAGE_SIZE, which is inaccurate
> > (for 5 pages in the example that I mentioned).
>
> If you would like, you could reword that to something more accurate,
> but still not detailing the implementation.
>
> > Understood and agreed. It is funny that what I spotted as "a problem"
> > was precisely an incomplete description of the implementation (the
> > sentences that I quoted above). What do you think about removing
> > those two sentences?
>
> I wouldn't remove them, just reword them to something you find more
> accurate.

I feel that adding:

"A few extra pages may be allocated to accommodate buffer management
meta-data."

between the two sentences that I quoted will address the issue. If
that is OK with you I will proceed to package this change in a new
patchset along with a few fixes of typos that I spotted in other
parts of the doc.

thanks one more time for your quick response.
frank a.