Re: [RFC v1 00/19] Modify zonelist to nodelist v1

From: Pengfei Li
Date: Mon Nov 25 2019 - 09:46:39 EST

On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 09:40:58 +0100
Michal Hocko <mhocko@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri 22-11-19 23:05:43, Pengfei Li wrote:
> > On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 19:04:01 +0100
> > Michal Hocko <mhocko@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > On Thu 21-11-19 23:17:52, Pengfei Li wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > I didn't really get to think about the actual patchset. From a
> > > very quick glance I am wondering whether we need to optimize as
> > > there are usually only small amount of numa nodes. But I am quite
> > > busy so I cannot really do any claims.
> >
> > Thanks for your comments.
> >
> > I think it's time to modify the zonelist to nodelist because the
> > zonelist is always in node order and the page reclamation is based
> > on node.
> >
> > I will do more performance testing to show that multi-node systems
> > will benefit from this series of patches.
>
> Sensible performance numbers on multiple workloads (ideally some real
> world ones rather than artificial microbenchmarks) is essential for a
> performance optimization that is this large.

Thank you for your suggestion.

But this is probably a bit difficult because I don't have a NUMA server
to do real-world workload testing.

I will do as many performance benchmarks as possible, just like Mel
Gorman's "Move LRU page reclaim from zones to nodes v9"
(https://lwn.net/Articles/694121/).

--
Pengfei