Re: "statsfs" API design

From: Paolo Bonzini
Date: Tue Nov 26 2019 - 05:50:37 EST

On 26/11/19 11:09, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> So I think there are two different things here:
> - a simple data structure for in-kernel users of statistics
> - a way to export statistics to userspace
>
> Now if they both can be solved with the same "solution", wonderful! But
> don't think that you have to do both of these at the same time.
>
> Which one are you trying to solve here, I can't figure it out. Is it
> the second one?

I already have the second in KVM using debugfs, but that's not good. So
I want to do:

- a simple data structure for in-kernel *publishers* of statistics

- a sysfs-based interface to export it to userspace, which looks a lot
like KVM's debugfs-based statistics.

What we don't have to do at the same time, is a new interface to
userspace, one that is more efficient while keeping the self-describing
property that we agree is needed. That is also planned, but would come
later.

Paolo