Re: Optimize perf stat for large number of events/cpus

From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
Date: Wed Nov 27 2019 - 10:43:14 EST

Em Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 12:16:57PM -0300, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo escreveu:
> Em Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 04:15:10PM -0800, Andi Kleen escreveu:
> > [v8: Address review feedback. Only changes one patch.]
> >
> > This patch kit optimizes perf stat for a large number of events
> > on systems with many CPUs and PMUs.
> >
> > Some profiling shows that the most overhead is doing IPIs to
> > all the target CPUs. We can optimize this by using sched_setaffinity
> > to set the affinity to a target CPU once and then doing
> > the perf operation for all events on that CPU. This requires
> > some restructuring, but cuts the set up time quite a bit.
> >
> > In theory we could go further by parallelizing these setups
> > too, but that would be much more complicated and for now just batching it
> > per CPU seems to be sufficient. At some point with many more cores
> > parallelization or a better bulk perf setup API might be needed though.
> >
> > In addition perf does a lot of redundant /sys accesses with
> > many PMUs, which can be also expensve. This is also optimized.
> >
> > On a large test case (>700 events with many weak groups) on a 94 CPU
> > system I go from
> >
> > real 0m8.607s
> > user 0m0.550s
> > sys 0m8.041s

> > real 0m3.269s
> > user 0m0.760s
> > sys 0m1.694s
> >
> > so shaving ~6 seconds of system time, at slightly more cost
> > in perf stat itself. On a 4 socket system the savings
> > are more dramatic:
> >
> > real 0m15.641s
> > user 0m0.873s
> > sys 0m14.729s

> > real 0m4.493s
> > user 0m1.578s
> > sys 0m2.444s
> >
> > so 11s difference in the user visible set up time.
>
> Applied to my local perf/core branch, now undergoing test builds on all
> the containers.

So, have you tried running 'perf test' after each cset is applied and
built?

[root@quaco ~]# perf test 49
49: Event times : FAILED!

I did a bisect and it ends at:

[acme@quaco perf]$ git bisect good
af39eb7d060751f7f3336e0ffa713575c6bea902 is the first bad commit
commit af39eb7d060751f7f3336e0ffa713575c6bea902