Re: epoll_wait() performance

From: Paolo Abeni
Date: Wed Nov 27 2019 - 11:27:04 EST

On Wed, 2019-11-27 at 16:48 +0100, Jesper Dangaard Brouer wrote:

> > > That sounds wrong. Single recvmmsg(), even when receiving only a
> > > single message, should be faster than two syscalls - recv() and
> > > poll().
> >
> > My suspicion is the extra two copy_from_user() needed for each recvmsg are a
> > significant overhead, most likely due to the crappy code that tries to stop
> > the kernel buffer being overrun.
> >
> > I need to run the tests on a system with a 'home built' kernel to see how much
> > difference this make (by seeing how much slower duplicating the copy makes it).
> >
> > The system call cost of poll() gets factored over a reasonable number of sockets.
> > So doing poll() on a socket with no data is a lot faster that the setup for recvmsg
> > even allowing for looking up the fd.
> >
> > This could be fixed by an extra flag to recvmmsg() to indicate that you only really
> > expect one message and to call the poll() function before each subsequent receive.
> >
> > There is also the 'reschedule' that Eric added to the loop in recvmmsg.
> > I don't know how much that actually costs.
> > In this case the process is likely to be running at a RT priority and pinned to a cpu.
> > In some cases the cpu is also reserved (at boot time) so that 'random' other code can't use it.
> >
> > We really do want to receive all these UDP packets in a timely manner.
> > Although very low latency isn't itself an issue.
> > The data is telephony audio with (typically) one packet every 20ms.
> > The code only looks for packets every 10ms - that helps no end since, in principle,
> > only a single poll()/epoll_wait() call (on all the sockets) is needed every 10ms.
>
> I have a simple udp_sink tool[1] that cycle through the different
> receive socket system calls. I gave it a quick spin on a F31 kernel
> 5.3.12-300.fc31.x86_64 on a mlx5 100G interface, and I'm very surprised
> to see a significant regression/slowdown for recvMmsg.
>
> $ sudo ./udp_sink --port 9 --repeat 1 --count $((10**7))
> run count ns/pkt pps cycles payload
> recvMmsg/32 run: 0 10000000 1461.41 684270.96 5261 18 demux:1
> recvmsg run: 0 10000000 889.82 1123824.84 3203 18 demux:1
> read run: 0 10000000 974.81 1025841.68 3509 18 demux:1
> recvfrom run: 0 10000000 1056.51 946513.44 3803 18 demux:1
>
> Normal recvmsg almost have double performance that recvmmsg.

For stream tests, the above is true, if the BH is able to push the
packets to the socket fast enough. Otherwise the recvmmsg() will make
the user space even faster, the BH will find the user space process
sleeping more often and the BH will have to spend more time waking-up
the process.

If a single receive queue is in use this condition is not easy to meet.

Before spectre/meltdown and others mitigations using connected sockets
and removing ct/nf was usually sufficient - at least in my scenarios -
to make BH fast enough.

But it's no more the case, and I have to use 2 or more different
receive queues.

@David: If I read your message correctly, the pkt rate you are dealing
with is quite low... are we talking about tput or latency? I guess
latency could be measurably higher with recvmmsg() in respect to other
syscall. How do you measure the releative performances of recvmmsg()
and recv() ? with micro-benchmark/rdtsc()? Am I right that you are
usually getting a single packet per recvmmsg() call?

Thanks,

PAolo