Re: [GIT PULL] Second set of RISC-V updates for v5.5-rc1

From: Paul Walmsley
Date: Wed Dec 04 2019 - 14:38:56 EST

Alistair, Anup,

On Wed, 4 Dec 2019, Alistair Francis wrote:

> On Wed, 2019-12-04 at 18:22 +0530, Anup Patel wrote:
>
> > I had commented on your patch but my comments are still
> > not addressed.
> >
> > Various debug options enabled by this patch have performance
> > impact. Instead of enabling these debug options in primary
> > defconfigs, I suggest to have separate debug defconfigs with
> > these options enabled.
>
> +1
>
> OE uses the defconfig (as I'm sure other distros do) and slowing down
> users seems like a bad idea.

While I respect your points of view, our defconfigs are oriented towards
kernel developers. This is particularly important when right now the only
RISC-V hardware on the market are test chips. Our expectation is that
distros and benchmarkers will create their own Kconfigs for their needs.

Going forward, we'll probably add a few more validation and debug options,
as Palmer suggested during the patch discussion.

- Paul