Re: [RFC v1 1/2] um: drivers: remove support for UML_NET_PCAP

From: Anton Ivanov
Date: Tue Dec 10 2019 - 02:14:51 EST

----- UrsprÃngliche Mail -----
Von: "Brendan Higgins" <brendanhiggins@xxxxxxxxxx>
IMHO we should at least mark them as "obsolete" and start preparing to
remove them.

Alright, I will send a patch out which marks the other network drivers
as "obsolete".

Clarification: Should I mark all UML network devices as "obsolete"
except for NET_VECTOR? Daemon and MCAST looked to me (I am not a
networking expert), like they might not be covered by vector.

No. Why?

Thanks,
//richard

At least pcap and vde are maintenance issues. They do not even build today.

Off the top of my head, daemon needs fixes to the switch - it has an O(n) performance hit for n="number of ports" as well as a few other issues.

Tap has a fully functional replacement

Pcap has a fully functional replacement

mcast for 2 instances is functionally equivalent to running l2tp or gre back-to-back.

IMHO we can start marking some of them as obsolete.

--
Anton R. Ivanov
Cambridgegreys Limited. Registered in England. Company Number 10273661