RE: [RFC 5/5] i3c: add i3cdev module to expose i3c dev in /dev

From: Vitor Soares
Date: Thu Dec 12 2019 - 12:25:43 EST

From: Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 16:00:45

> On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 02:56:56PM +0000, Vitor Soares wrote:
> > Hi Greg,
> >
> > From: Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Date: Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 14:44:59

> > > Please remove debugging information, kernel code should be quiet unless
> > > something goes wrong.
> >
> > I will remove it.

> > > Do you really need a whole major, or will a few minors work?
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > >
> > > greg k-h
> >
> > I'm reserving one per device. What do you suggest?
>
> How many devices do you have in a system?

According to MIPI I3C spec, the maximum number of devices on a bus will
depend on trace length, bus load, and clock requirements.

Frankly, I don't know what is the best compromise because it depends from
system to system and the end-use of it. In my case, I started developing
this to help me during the HC controller driver development.
Even If I choose a fixed major, I wouldn't know in which one i3c fits.

Best regards,
Vitor Soares